Thursday, December 17, 2009

Together Through Megabytes #2-Diamond Rings



We are super pleased to be doing our 2nd edition of "Together Through Megabytes" with John O., the man behind the mask, er, eye makeup, of Diamond Rings. Diamond Rings has been catching some serious buzz lately with the single and video for "All Yr Songs" So much so, that it was named "Video of the Year" and the #5 top song for 2009 on this very blog. John O. was nice enough to sit down and answer some questions regarding the video, warm sweaters, and Canada. Results below.

MRLT: For all of those who don't know, who is Diamond Rings?

John O: Diamond Rings is the name of my personal musical project. It's basically a chance for me to let things out and follow whatever influences and desires I feel inspired by in the worlds of music, fashion, and art. It's a really important thing for me right now.


MRLT: "All Yr Songs" has caught some attention since its release, were you a
bit surprised?

John O: Yes and no. Both myself and my pal Colin Medley (who directed the vid) were really pleased with everything once we'd got the finished product together, but the Internet is a weird place! There's so much great stuff floating around out there but if things don't catch on right away it's easy for them to get buried. So we put it out thinking that our friends would like it and although we were hoping for it to catch on internationally, we weren't going to let that affect how much we really enjoyed the process of producing the work itself.


MRLT: Is the song directed at someone specifically, cause I don't know about
you, but I don't lend my warmest sweater to just anybody, especially in the winter?

John O: Yeah, especially when you live in Toronto! It's cold here! But seriously, I don't like to reveal too much in the way of the meanings behind my lyrics because I want people to be able to interpret my songs in their own unique way. All I can do is write for myself and put it out there for others to internalize and project on to their own real life situations. But I will say that the song is definitely directed towards a specific person with whom I share a close relationship.


MRLT: Lets talk about the video, how did it all come together?

John O: Like I said, my pal Colin is a prominent fixture on the music scene here in Toronto. He's always shooting bands and I have the good fortune of sharing an apartment with him. I had just recorded the song and it was his idea to make a video for it. What we ended up with came out of our mutual love of early 90s rap videos and green screen effects. My cousin Lisa Howard did the make-up, styling, and choreography. It's worth noting that we shot the entire thing for about the price of two medium pizzas that we had for lunch on the day of the shoot.



MRLT: There's a bit of a controversy going on with the video and Youtube and
Sony, what happened and what's the latest news?

John O: Basically, Sony's UK office erroneously claimed copyright infringement because my stage name is the same as that of a single released by a rapper on their label called Chipmunk. Youtube deleted the video at Sony's request, and it wasn't until we went public through our Myspace page that a bunch of blogs started talking and word got back to Sony officials here in Canada. They realized that they had no real grounds to accuse us of anything and ended up putting the video back online pretty fast.

They're supposedly sending us some limited edition Modest Mouse 7" records and a Beyonce album as compensation for our troubles. We've been checking the mailbox every day and can't hardly wait!


MRLT: There's some serious NBA paraphernalia in the video, are you a big basketball fan?

John O: Growing up I was huge into sports. Now I'd say I'm more attracted to the iconography and the idea of sports than the actual players and teams themselves. There's a certain nostalgic appeal and a sense of belonging that comes with participation in the sports world and I find that rather comforting.


MRLT: When you were younger did you know that music would play such a big part in your life and what were some of your bigger musical influences growing up?

John O: When I was younger I don't think I ever really thought about music like something that was a part of me, but at the same time, when I look back a few years I can see how important it was in shaping who I am. My biggest influences were probably the bands and artists that I heard around the house growing up. Stuff like Fine Young Cannibals and Steve Winwood were huge. I got really into rap when I was in high school, so I'd probably have to put the late Notorious B.I.G. and Illmatic by Nas on the list, too.


MRLT: What is a typical day in the life of John O., is there a day job?

John O: I get up pretty early and make coffee and breakfast. Depending on what day it is I'll either work on my music or I'll work on some art. I'm trained as a visual artist and also do lots of design work for bands in Toronto. Silk screening shirts, putting together show posters, photocopying 'zines - stuff like that. I'll usually switch it up at lunch and do whatever I wasn't doing earlier. Sometimes I go to the library and get some books to read.

Right now I'm reading Gender Trouble by Judith Butler, which is from the early 90s and deals with lots of stuff that I'm finding relevant to my own work as Diamond Rings. It basically has to do with confusing traditional gender stereotypes through dress and fashion.


MRLT: How has growing up in Canada shaped you as an artist and what's it like being part of the Toronto scene?

John O: I can't really say because I haven't lived anywhere else, but I'd imagine that being in Canada has made me feel a bit more like an "underdog" if that makes sense. It's definitely harder to get international recognition north of the American border, and because of how our country is laid out geographically it can make touring a really big hassle. Toronto is great though, I've met so many great people since I've moved here and we all try to help each other out.

My favourite local band right now is called Ghost Bees. They're twins and they play really spooky music inspired by Eastern European folk traditions and witchcraft! Sometimes I perform with them, as well as my BFF Katie Stelmanis who makes totally bonkers MIDI beats and sings like she should be in the opera. I also play in an alternative rock band called The D'Urbervilles, who are the best people ever.


MRLT: There's a Diamond Rings full length coming out in 2010, what should expect from it?

John O: Yes, it's called Special Affections and it will be coming out in spring 2010. Musically I'd expect everything from early 1980s New Order to late 2000s Usher. It's all pretty much MIDI beats with lots of live piano and vintage synth overdubs. I'm mostly proud of the lyrics though. I wrote each of these songs for special people and I really think it captures an exciting and important time in my life. Colin and I are going to make videos for almost every song too!


MRLT:
Should we expect a tour of the U.S and a visit to Chicago soon?

John O: Yes and yes. Although there's nothing confirmed as of right now. But you'll be the first to know.


MRLT: Lastly, top 5 albums of 2009 for you and is there anything you feel people might have missed in 2009 that you want them to know about?

John O: 1. Timber Timbre - S/T
2. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - It's Blitz!
3. Fever Ray - S/T
4. Why? - Eskimo Snow
5. Handsome Furs - Face Control

And yeah, my number one pick Timber Timbre is probably the best artist in Toronto right now. His album is probably one of the most genuinely honest and downright spooky things I've ever heard in my life. He's great.

Look out for Diamond Rings in 2010. Watch a live performance of "Something Else" shot by Colin Medley below. This song is just as catchy, if not more than "All Yr Songs." Check it! And thank you, John O!



All Yr Songs-Diamond Rings-mp3 (Zshare)

No comments:

Post a Comment