Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Goodbye Sonotheque...


Sonotheque will be closing its doors for good this weekend. Sonotheque was most definitely, by far, my favorite place in Chicago to go cut the rug. It was a club, without being a "club." You could wear whatever you wanted to, and the buttoned down shirt, douchebag factor was almost non-existent. The thing that I liked most about it is that it crossed genres. Indie kids, hip hop heads, goths, and just regular old people looking to have a good time got down to business on the dance floor together with no real pretensions. It goes without saying that the soundsystem was banging and the dj's, no matter what night, got people moving.

I will forever associate Sonotheque with a certain group of people and a certain place in time...Blackout Sunday during Lollapalooza won't be the same without a trip to Sono. Where else could I have met Hot Chip and in a drunken stupor ask them repeatedly who their favorite soccer teams was? I think the Chubby Chipper wanted to kill me, I annoyed him so much. Ahh, too many fun memories...

Rest in peace Sonotheque... and lets cross our fingers that something lame doesn't open up in your place.

No comments:

Post a Comment