Monday, January 18, 2010

Coachella 2010-How Are Things On The West Coast?


It's that time of year again... In about 12 hours or so we will all know the lineup for the 2010 edition of Coachella aka Disneyland for music lovers. I have been to many festivals around the country and year in and year out, Coachella always comes out on top. It's like Christmas, Prom, your birthday, and the last day of school combined. This festival has done it all.

Pixies reunion-Check
Madonna-Check
Radiohead-Check
Black Star-Check
Gang of Four reunion-Check
Rage Against the Machine reunion-Check
Prince-Double Check
Daft Punk-Triple Check

Seriously, the last two on that list are my #1 and #2 shows of all time. Daft Punk, who had not played in the U.S. in years, took all the money Coachella gave them and spent it on kick ass robot suits and a ridiculous stage set up. I'm sure everyone inside that tent was expecting a great time, but I don't think anybody had any idea that two guys in robot suits were gonna play from the middle of a pyramid that lit up. I will never forget turning around during Daft Punk's set and looking at all the faces behind me that were simultaneously expressing total awe and pure joy. You could hear people randomly screaming out, "Oh, My God!" as if God was actually on stage. And then in '08 he was. His name is Prince.

I could go on and on about Coachella's past, but it is Coachella 2010 that is upon us. Though the fully confirmed lineup will not be out till the early morning it is most likely that you will see all of these bands on the poster...

Muse, Gorillaz, Phoenix, Passion Pit, Miike Snow, Echo and the Bunnymen, The xx, Delorean, Faith No More, Hot Chip, LCD Soundsystem, The Beastie Boys, The Dead Weather, Vampire Weekend, Devo, Yeasayer, Spoon, Mayer Hawthrone, Deerhunter, The Ravonettes, Beach House, and Them Crooked Vultures. And that's only 22 bands! There's about 80 more that I haven't mentioned (not that I know who they are, but Pavement and Thom Yorke might be on there...). Rumors are flying as to who will be the last headliner (Muse and Gorillaz are the other two supposedly) Names being thrown around include Jay-Z, the Rolling Stones, and definitely not David Bowie. In other words, this year is looking pretty amazing.

Like I said before, nothing is set in stone till that poster appears on the Coachella website in a few hours. We will just have to wait and see... Tune in.

Till then watch some of Daft Punk's set from Coachella '06, my #1 concert of all time. I get goosebumps from head to toe every time I watch this.



Oh, what this?!? Daft Punk Coachella '06 Set 1 and Set 2. Click for download (Zshare)

No comments:

Post a Comment