Monday, October 26, 2009

Travis-Martyr's 10/24/09


I was first introduced to Travis back in 1999 when I made a visit to London to see some friends that were studying abroad. I bought both Good Feeling and The Man Who at a CD shop at Heathrow while waiting for my plane back to the U.S. I really fell in love with The Man Who. So much so, that I remember going to one of those Q101 Jamboree crap shows just so I could see Travis (sidenote, I saw alot awful things that day, like the Bloodhound Gang. Gross.).

Fast forward 10 years to Saturday night and there I was seeing Travis for the 2nd time. Well, it wasn't all of Travis, just half. Fran Healy and Andy Dunlop played a stellar 2 1/2 hour set that spanned the bands career and they did it in chronological order, starting with the first song that Fran ever wrote, and ending with the last one.
Best part of the show, actually there were two best parts of the show. 1) Fran gave insight to every song that they played that night. Did you know "Driftwood" was inspired by "Cheers?" Or that "Why Does it Always Rain on Me?" was written because of a rainy holiday in Israel, and not cause it "rains on his soul"(insert French accent) like a French DJ suggested at the height of the song's popularity?

2) There was a projection screen at the back of the stage that allowed Fran to show pictures of everything, from pics of the band with Paul McCartney to pictures of his 3 year old son who is obsessed with Michael Jackson.

I'd be a fool to go through all the songs that they played. Lets just say that if you're a Travis fan, all bases were covered. From beginning to end. If they come to your city, go see this show. Or go to New York in a couple weeks. They're playing something obscene like 6 shows in a row while in NYC. If you don't, it will rain on your soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment